Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stale?

As I pace the network of alleyways and side streets of this town, I continue to hear a constant echoing in my head from: 'hello massage' to 'taxi boat?', 'taxi boat?' by day. Once the sun disappears over the horizon, it changes to 'free shot' or 'buy one bucket get 2 free'. People constantly handing you flyers for bars and cheap drinks. This place is catered to the tourist's every need, and more. I feel Thailand has lost a lot of its culture due to the mass of tourist's that flood in from Europe and Australia and all over the world to attend events like the infamous Full Moon Party, which is a cesspool of drugs and alcohol and immoral behavior. Attractions such as Ma Ya Bay which is where the movie 'The Beach' was filmed are way over commercialized. The beauty of the bay is lost, with speed boat after speed boat lining the shore and a packed beach full of tourist's on day trips.
I also hear people say: "you're only in Thailand once". This being my second time in this country, I am beginning to realize why people asked me why I was going back to Thailand since I've been there already and I understand why a lot of people don't go to the same place twice. I feel this country has become stale to me, I have lost the drive to explore more of the country. (notice the lack of video lately?) My time in Thailand is coming to an end, although there is one last thing I want to do, camping on Bamboo Island. Anyway, I think I might change my flight out of here to an earlier date.
Don't get me wrong, Thailand can still be a great place to visit, just don't over do it.
Perhaps I sound so negative and feel a little down as a result of not feeling well the last couple days.

I have a headache so I think I will go for a massage.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been doing a lot of thinking lately. But isn't that what "wanderlust' is all about; Trying to find the good in the world plus being willing and able to experience and learn from the bad.

    Don't let the bad get you down and keep your wits about you. I believe your journey will give you more education and life experience than 4 or 5 years in any college or university ever could (probably not a high paying job, but I don't think that's what your looking for).

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way when I was traveled in Laos,especially in the town Vang Vieng. Fantastic scenery, but along the riverbanks, it is packed full with bars playing horrible music, so loud that you can hear them a mile away, with "beer! beer!" embedded inside. I thought I could ignore the noise and focus on the view instead, "BLOOM" people "bungee jump" down from a tree..... and big splashing of water covered my eyes.
    There were a lot of restaurants in the town mainly targeted on tourists, as you can imagine. It feels kind of touristy, but this is not the worst part. While I was having my dinner, half-naked people started to show up. They walked in their shorts and bikinis, yelling and singing on the streets, probably drunk from the bars after tubing session. Some of them ordered food from the street vendors,and started yelling at the poor guy for delivering the wrong order. The guy did not say anything and so did the waiter served us our food. Seem to me they already got used to the behavior of the tourists. we were very embarrassed to be categorized as one of them.

    You see, I respect other cultures as much as I can while I am traveling, but then I am pretty sure I actually contribute more or less to the loss of their cultures......

    ReplyDelete